Friday, March 12, 2010

Brighton and Worthing, England and a day's layover in Boston...

A couple weeks ago I found some really great ticket prices for London and for my birthday got to go on a little spur of the moment trip. My trip was pretty uneventful and I spent the majority of my time there sick in bed. I did manage to get some halfway decent pictures though. So, to chronicle my time in Brighton, Worthing and a day Boston here are a few photos from my trip:

I had about day to pack and get together everything I needed. Jane was not helping, though she may have thought differently.

A loooong Monday evening in Logan International...
This is what a major airport looks like at 3am... I never thought I'd say this but thank goodness for 24 hour Dunkin Donuts.

I finally got to go to bed after a day and half of solid travel. Planes, trains and a bus and a LOT of walking... ugh.

The hostel was in a really great spot, right around the corner from almost everything you might need. Too bad all the payphones around it were almost completely useless. This is a view from the dorm window.

I made my way through the North and South Lanes to check out the the beach.

On the Boardwalk, down by the sea...

I was in love with this color - and the fact that the paint was peeling everywhere you looked.

This one just amuses me.

Finally made my way to Brighton Pier.

The sky was amazing that afternoon.

Through the Pavilion Gardens...

Back in my bunk... it was time for a rest before dinner.

Meandering through the Lanes at night... it's really amazing how safe I felt there, even walking around at 10:00 at night by myself.

I finally stopped for a drink at The White Rabbit before heading back to the hostel.

Back at the hostel I ended up hanging out in the common room talking to a few of the people who happened to be bunking in my room. All in all it was a lovely first day.

The next couple days are kind of a blur. No pictures were taken since I ended up getting pretty sick. After three days in bed I just needed some fresh air so I decided to walk down to the beach and actually see some of Worthing, just around sunset.

Sunday afternoon I finally went into the city.

I had gotten so frustrated with the damn pay phones and stupid phone cards that wouldn't work that I broke down and bought a pay as you go...

Sunday evening sunset...

Walking through Worthing to get to Megan's house for an evening... a pretty time for pictures.

Went to the Pier on Monday where there were some fantastic murals... I think the mermaid is absolutely gorgeous.

I love how you can see all of the brush strokes and grit on the wall with this guy.

That afternoon I was lucky enough to get to take a walk with Bink, Noah and Sarah.

We all know how I love a good lamp post shot. The sky was once again just amazing. I loved how dark and gray the water looked in contrast to the waning light and pale yellow sky.

Heading back through the city for some window shopping... I want this outfit... :)

Again, I have this fascination with grubby walls and peeling paint... I guess I just have an affinity for textures and decaying structures. :)

I left Worthing Tuesday afternoon and spent one more day in Brighton. I didn't get any pictures unfortunately, as my camera was starting to die and I didn't have a way to charge it. The adapter I had brought had fried my hair dryer and I wasn't about to chance my camera being next.

I then made my way home on Wednesday afternoon. I had a full 24 hours to spend in Boston so I got a train pass for the day and went wandering... first along the Long Warf near the Aquarium.

Then to Fenuil Hall and the Markets...

I also went to check out the Holocaust Memorial. I wasn't really sure what to think about it.

I was both moved and to be honest, a little shocked and I would even say slightly appalled at the way it was presented.

Still being pretty tired from being sick I hung out in the area a little longer before deciding to go check out Boston Commons to see the old Burying Grounds.

I made my way back to the train station and took one more short stroll before heading back to the airport.

I saw some really cool street art on my way to the station...

All in all I'd give it a 6 out of 10. To date it's probably one of the worst trips I've had to be honest. I did manage to see some lovely sights but even still... can I get a do-over...?


Everlasting Monday said...

I love the one of the color that you loved. It reminds me of an antique globe or something. Also the picture of you at the beach is AWESOME!!

Sandi said...

MY GOD. You took amazing photos. I'm so sorry you were sick while you were there!!!

Miss Cara said...

The street art that's like trash in the road is actually stuff that's been bronzed I believe. That's where the farmer's market/street fair is held every weekend and there's always tons of trash left afterwards, so they decided to make it into some art in the street.!

mike122681 said...

Absolutley stunning photos! There is no doubt you possess an artistic eye. I recently purchased a new digital camera to begin amatuer photography as a hobby, and these photos only add to my inspiration. You managed to capture a piece of England as I never would have imagined it would appear. Even considering the circumstances of your trip, it still looks like an extraordinary adventure to be admired!