Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tudor Gown 101

It is getting to be that time of year again!!


The weather is warming, plants are becoming green again and animals are getting twitterpainted! Me? Well, I'm getting ready to break out the sewing machine - faire season is upon us! Everyone loves having new clothes and we faire goers are no exception.

This year I'm undertaking quite a feat... for me anyway. I've begun drafting a pattern for a Tudor gown and get I need to get cracking. I have the smock, petticoat and about 90% of the kirtle all drafted out and mock ups of the smock and petticoat completed. However, July will be here before I know it. I still need to work on the kirtle skirt back and the most tricky of all, the gown itself. The hard part is gathering my materials and taking the time to do all of the hand sewing. I just cannot decide how I want my gown to look though, fabric choice is going to be a biggie. I really need to get some linen for my smock first. I may just cheat for now and use a lightweight cotton, but we'll see if I can find some decent prices online. I looove linen and I'd really like to be as period as possible for a change. :) This should be a pretty interesting journey over all. Hopefully I can start up again soon now that all of my winter swaps are finished!

No comments: